Statement of Faith
The following statement of What We Believe is the basis for fellowship and membership at the Metro Christian Centre - Bury. The biblical references are only indicative and not exhaustive of the truths to which they refer and this statement is therefore not a definitive creed in itself.
1. We believe that the Bible (i.e. the Old and New Testaments excluding the Apocrypha), is the inspired Word of God, the infallible, all sufficient rule for
faith and practice
(2 Timothy 3:15-16; 2 Peter 1:21).
2. We believe in the unity of the One True and Living God who is the Eternal, Self-Existent “I AM”, Who has also revealed Himself as One being co-existing
in three Persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Deuteronomy 6:4; Mark 12:29; Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14).
3. We believe in the Virgin Birth, Sinless Life, Miraculous Ministry, Substitutionary Atoning Death, Bodily Resurrection, Triumphant Ascension and Abiding
Intercession of the Lord Jesus Christ and in His personal, visible, bodily return in power and glory as the blessed hope of all believers.
(Isaiah 7:14;Matthew 1:23; Hebrews 7:26; 1 Peter 2:22; Acts 2:22, 10:38; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 9:12; Luke 24:39; 1 Corinthians 15:4; Acts 1:9;
Ephesians 4:8-10; Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25; 1 Corinthians 15:22-24, 51-57; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 20:1-6).
4. We believe in the fall of man, who was created pure and upright, but fell by voluntary transgression
(Genesis 1:26-31, 3:1-7; Romans 5:12-21).
5. We believe in salvation through faith in Christ, who, according to the Scriptures, died for our sins, was buried and was raised from the dead on the third
day, and that through His Blood we have Redemption (Titus 2:11, 3:5-7; Romans 10:8-15; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4). This experience is also known as the new
birth, and is an instantaneous and complete operation of the Holy Spirit upon initial faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
(John 3:5-6; James 1:18; 1 Peter 1:23; 1 John 5:1).
6. We believe that all who have truly repented and believed in Christ as Lord and Saviour are commanded to be baptised by immersion in water
(Matthew 28:19; Acts 10:47-48; Acts 2:38-39).
7. We believe in the baptism in the Holy Spirit as an endowment of the believer with power for service, the essential, biblical evidence of which is the speaking
with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance
(Acts 1:4-5, 8, 2:4, 10:44-46, 11:14-16, 19:6).
8. We believe in the operation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the gifts of Christ in the Church today
(1 Corinthians 12:4-11, 28; Ephesians 4:7-16).
9. We believe in holiness of life and conduct in obedience to the command of God
(1 Peter 1:14-16; Hebrews 12:14; 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 1 John 2:6).
10. We believe that deliverance from sickness, by Divine Healing is provided for through the Atonement
(Isaiah 53:4-5, Matthew 8:16-17, James 5:13-16).
11. We believe that all who have truly repented and believe in Christ as Lord and Saviour should regularly participate in Breaking of Bread
(Luke 22:14-20; 1 Corinthians 11:20-34).
12. We believe in the bodily resurrection of all men, the everlasting conscious bliss of all who truly believe in our Lord Jesus Christ and the everlasting conscious
punishment of all whose names are not written in the Book of Life
(Daniel 12:2-3; John 5:28-29, 1 Corinthians 15:22-24; Matthew 25:46; 2 Thessalonians 1:9; Revelation 20:10-15).